Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sponsors

Yesterday, I was reunited with the trailer that I will be towing on this trip, a Aosom two-wheeler which got sidelined by a bad blowout over a week ago.  This trailer came equipped with tires of a quality that I would be reluctant to tow across a soft carpet for fear of a blowout; and the merchant does not warranty the tires; although this was not mentioned in the published warranty information.  The trailer is rated to carry 180 lbs.  I've been training with it at 110 pounds over a smooth paved bike trail; but, after about 75 miles, I experienced a disappointing non-repairable flat.  The tire itself failed structurally, allowing the inner tube to protrude and quickly wear through.

 A good friend, Bill Locker, a former co-worker and expert aviator from the Florida Division of Forestry who owns and operates his own machine shop made new trailer axles for me that accommodate the same size and quality of wheels and tires I have on my bike, instead of the 16" diameter poor quality stuff the trailer came equipped with.  Yesterday, I was able to test this new system, which worked perfectly.  The larger diameter, high pressure, puncture resistant tires ride more easily over bumps and added considerable speed to my average.  Their lower rolling resistance also made towing much easier. 

Bill Locker can be contacted at:  Bill's Machine
                                                  5687 Beale Ford Rd.
                                                  Milton, Fl  32571
                                                  (850) 994-9820
                                                  bmachine@bellsouth.net
Even if you live outside this area, Bill can work with you to custom design and produce metal products to suit your needs.  He's even reverse engineered and manufactured components required to restore vintage aircraft to flying status.  I think he's a genius; although he might argue otherwise; and, I know his wife has some strong opinions about this.

Eric Hollman of Bikes Plus in Pensacola provided a great deal of support which will make this ride more likely to succeed.  He took the axles that Bill made and equipped them with bearings, nuts, lightweight alloy 26" wheels, and puncture resistant high-pressure tires with heavy-gage inner tubes.  He donated these things to the cause, along with giving me significant discounts on other equipment and parts that I needed.  He also donated the labor required to lube, tune-up and repair my bike.  More than this, he didn't simply offer off-the-shelf equipment and supplies.  He put a great deal of engineer-quality thought into equipping my bike for greater ease and efficiency of operation.  If you need a part you can't find, call Eric.  He doesn't just give up and take the easy way out when confronted with a technical problem.  Eric and his staff are truly honorable business folks.

Contact Eric at:  Bikes Plus
                         1181 Creighton Rd.
                         Pensacola, Fl  32504
                         (850) 478-1521
                         www.BikesPlus.com

Brian Kassinger, owner of A+ Sign Station in Pace, Fl, my son's schoolmate and best man donated all of the signs and sign blanks that adorn my bike and trailer that I will tow across the state to acknowledge the contributions of my supporters.  Like the rest of my sponsors, even if you live outside the area, call Brian to discuss your sign needs.  He even manufactures and installs electrical signs.

Contact Brian at:  A+ Sign Station
                           3655 Highway 90
                           Pace, Fl  32571
                           (850) 994-6600
                           APlusSignStation@bellsouth.net

Other sponsors, former co-workers, friends and family have donated funds to help defray the cost of my trip.  That list grows daily; but here are the folks I need to say "Thank you" to now:

                                                          American Legion Post #78 of Milton, Fl
                                                          Clause and Melody Boyd of Florence, Ms.
                                                          Mae Bowen of Anchorage, Alaska
                                                          David and June Gunther of Milton, Fl
                                                          Ben and Mary Ann Wolcott of Milton, Fl

Still others have pledged support on a per-mile-ridden basis or otherwise.  Thanks to you all for encouraging me in this effort to say "Thank you" to our veterans who have, and continue to serve us so well.

THE CURRENT CONFIGURATION OF THINGS

Just as I predicted before, once I set about adorning my trailer and bike with all of the sponsor's signs and decals, it is taking on the appearance of a pile of NASCAR debris.

No comments:

Post a Comment