Saturday, October 9, 2010

Another Good Travel Day

It's the end of day 9; and I'm in South Daytona Beach, about 10 miles from new Smyrna Beach. Tomorrow evening, I'll be at Titusville.

Today brought more good traveling weather and not many complications with traffic, which allowed me to cover 55 miles.

I saw a young man today on a hybrib bike designed for folks who are paralysed from the waist down. Someone who might have been his dad was riding alongside him on a bike keeping him clear of traffic and helping him get started again every time he had to stop. He brought to mind all of our young soldiers who are coming home with broken bodies and difficult futures ahead. It angers me when I think about the senselessness and thanklessness of the conflicts our soldiers are being thrust into. It angers me that so many politicians, who have never done anything to serve or defend their country are so comfortable with notion that our soldiers' status as volunteers somehow legitimizes throwing them back into combat with supposed allies who despise everthing about America, except for what they can extort from us. I am blessed to have come home fomr war physically intact and then supported by nurturing relations for decades afterwards. I wish today's soldiers were not exposed to such unreasonable risk. And, I hope they find all the support they deserve to rebuild their lives.

Tomorrow's weather is forecast to be the same as today's; so, I expect productive smooth sailing

1 comment:

  1. Great job Al! New scenery starts in a day or 2. We are all with you every day. Stay strong!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete