Thursday, October 21, 2010

Down to the Home Stretch

Tonight, I'm in a campground on the north end of Key Largo, about a day's ride to South Miami, where I will spend the night with new friends and cycling enthusiasts John and Liz Hopkins. Today was a rough day, with unrelenting northerly winds and lots of road construction, much of which has destroyed the adjacent cycling paths and paved road shoulders. I started out at 7:30 this morning and pedaled into the campground at 6:30 this evening, covering 56 grueling miles. If such difficult experiences build character, I will be a totally different person by the time I complete my journey in about 5 days.

If anyone is planning a cycling trip down the Keys anytime soon, I would absolutely not do it until you can verify the the bulk of the construction has been completed on Key Largo. Right now it is a nightmarish mess of random construction projects that makes it unsafe to cycle through. If there is a grand plan behind all of the mess here, Key Largo may soon have some of the newest and nicest trails in the state.

One thing that would be most helpful to cyclists would be for some group or agency to provide weekly updates on trail conditions in the Keys. I recommend that members of the Greenway, the Florida Biking Association, Everglades Cycling Club, or any other cycling interest frequently evaluate and report on trail conditions in their respectives areas of interest.

I met with Monica Woll of Florida's Greenways and Trails of the DEP to share observations and recommendations about trails I've pedaled in the Keys. She is passionate about her responsibilities, and is an avid cycling, paddling, and fitness advocate. Thanks for the rest stop, lunch, teeshirt and bandana, Monica. I wish you and your department all the best as you work to tie all of the Key's trails together and promote cycling. Monica runs Paradise Paddlers & Pedalers, a non-profit club/volunteer group thru her job with the Office of Greenways & Trails. Both Monica and her husband guide cycling and paddling (kayak) tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment