Saturday, October 23, 2010

Back in Ft. Lauderdale

Another rough day with stiff winds. 40 miles added today brings my total traveled to 1042. Winds permitting, my trek should be done in three days, when I reach Vero Beach. I hope winds will permit me to reach Palm Beach tomorrow.

I'm kind of anxious to get this trip over with. Although I've accomplished most of what I set out to do, I am getting tired.

I see the problems faced by today's veterans as being nearly overwhelming. I've met so many who have either fallen, or been pushed into a crack in the system; and we're not acting fast enough to meet their needs. One organization, among many that has always tried to help them is the American Legion, which does much good; but, to be more effective in meeting ever growing needs, it needs to address an image problem that stands in the way. That is the impression apparently held by most folks that the Legion is just a collection of old soldiers who sit around and smoke and drink their time away. The fact is, that that visible image is pretty acurate at first glance; and we don't often get a second chance to make a good first impression. The Post that I am a member of does not permit smoking or drinking; but, all of the others I've visited on this trip do. That's not an appropriate atmosphere for a health-conscious family, much less a good example for young health-consious veterans who could greatly benefit from mentoring opportunies that can be provided by older vets, but who won't get the chance to interact because of the unhealthy atmosphere in many Legion posts. That's a correctable problem that will probably not be corrected; because the members that have built and continue to sustain Legion posts derive too much benefit from unhealthy activities. I know this is a controversial position to take; but, I would not personally invite someone I was trying to help into such an atmosphere; because I can't endure it myself. I'll have to expand on these thoughts later, in another venue; because too many folks will take offense at my suggestion that the Legion self-limits itself by perpetuating a negative image.

The Legion is in a unique position that allows it to closly interact with County Veterans Service Representatives. They just need to capitalize on opportunities to reach out and greatly expand their efforts. I've recommended to many of the vets I've met on this trip that they contact county veterans representatives for assistance. I've only met two vets out of dozens who knew they were entitled to assistance, and knew how to get it. This is a gigantic problem.

This morning, John Hopkins and I met briefly with the leader of a cycling group that plans an imminent trip down the keys to Key West. I recommended that they not do it because of the amount and character of heavy road and trail construction on Key Largo, Marathon Key, and Long Key. I've just completed that portion of my trip; and I would not do it again on any type of bike unless I could verify that some of the more dangerous construction work was completed. Right now, there appears to be no agency accessible that serves as a central clearing house for useful in formation about the condition and safety status of roads and trails that must be used to get through the Keys.

No comments:

Post a Comment