Sunday, October 10, 2010

In Titusville Tonight

Today was a reasonably good ride, hotter than previous days, but with light breezes. Most of today's route folowed US1, which is very busy with high-speed traffic. The paved shoulder is rough and in poor condition much of the way. Motorists have been generally accommodating. Ironically, it's other cyclists who pose the greatest hazard. Faster cyclists routinely pass with minimum space between bikes and without calling out their intentions. This is especially hazardous when the cyclist being overtaken may have to suddendly veer around a hazard. Autos always make enough noise when approaching. Not so with bicycles. Most cyclists are sorely in need of traffic law training and guidance in courteousy towards other cyclists.

Tomorrow night I will be in Melbourne, Vero Beach after that. Then Fort Pierce, where I started mt trip on the 1st. I need to move my van to another parking area; and then, I'll be off to Key West for the second half of my trip.

With the weekend ending, I hope to be able to do some camping in state parks along the way. So far, I've found plenty of inexpensive motels, old, but clean and inexpensive.

My bike and trailer are holding up well. It's so nice to be able to hold higher speeds for a change - 10-13 mph. Instead of pedaling for 10 hours into headwinds, I can cover my 50 miles planned in six to seven hours, including breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment