Thursday, October 14, 2010

The attack of the killer ants

How's that for a blog title?

I Stayed in a state park last night, and was awakened from a deep sleep at 1 a.m. by the sting of a fire ant. As I looked towards the tent opening, I saw that hundreds of the little beggars were streaming in and setting up a relay line so they could effectively transport my body parts to their nest. I was busy for the next hour crushing and killing these intruders. The war ended at 2 a.m. The rest of the night was uneventful.

Tonight, I'm at Deerfield Beach, just south of Boca Raton. I wanted to make sure I reached a "low-rent" district before I stopped for the night.

I've met a couple neat people today, starting with Dude 1 and Dude 2 who were having breakfast at the same McDonalds I stopped at. They have been biking from Colorado to Key West with no sense of urgency and no visible means of supports. They'd been traveling for five months, with no idea when they would reach their destination. They thought they might have to find work when they reached Key West.

Later that day, I stopped at a Shell station to load up on Gatorade, I met the owner, Parmanand Patel. When I answered his question about what I was up to, he would not accept payment for the Gatorade. I was taken aback by his kind words about my mission and his generosity.

Tomorrow, I should reach North Miami Beach, at which point I'll have to carefully assess the longterm weather forecast. To determine if I can make it to Key West and back before the next tropical storm forms and moves north.

Today was overcast with light sprinkles most of the day; but this caused no problems for me. In fact, it was a pleasant change from the heat of days past.

No comments:

Post a Comment