Sunday, October 24, 2010

In Juno Beach - 55 Miles From Journey's End

Well, another windy but productive day. 61 miles down today, 1103 miles total pedaled to date, about 55 miles to go. Got rained on a couple of times and jostled by strong crosswinds. I'll take crosswinds anytime in preference to headwinds.

Tomorrow, I hope to reach Vero Beach and journey's end! I stayed inland on US1 today due to stormy conditions, and made better time because of it.

I had a couple of folks beep at me today and give me a thumbs up. Even a policeman gave me a short burst of siren with a thumbs up. Go figure! Now that the trip's nearly over, more people are noticing the signage on my trailer. All kidding aside, motorists have been generally courteous and accomodating towards me on all of this trip. But, those cyclists! Another passed me today in traffic today - too close, and with no warning. I wish a cycling license and safety certification process was required before any bicyclist could ride on state roads, and that local jurisdictions would enact cyclist licensing laws.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing that motorist have been nicer than cyclists! and was a common factor during this trip.

    By the way, If someday I go to the Keys I want to see the ocean, the clear water, the sun, - And can't come back home without seeing a Green bottle of beer broken on the road (it has to be green or doesn't count!) - What an incredible phenomenon with those green bottles and the pick up trucks.

    What an adventure.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugo,

    Thanks for following my journey. I hope you get the chance to make that trip. My advice would be to not do it alone. There's safety in numbers; and you're more visible.

    ReplyDelete