Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Ride Is Over; But The Journey Has Just Begun

On Monday evening at 5:00 p.m., I finished the last of 1160 miles logged on this trip when I returned to my van that I had parked at a friend's home in Vero Beach. By the grace of God, and with the assistance of several new friends, I accomplished what I set out to do, not knowing until it was over that I was actually capable of succeeding in my venture. It was a long haul and hard pull nearly every day, beset with strong headwinds for 9 of the 23 1/2 days that I pedaled, towing that heavy trailer.

I have to rush off to Anchorage, Alaska tomorrow to help my family there arrange some home-care services for my ailing mother. I will return to Florida on Nov 7 and start compiling a number of observations and recommendations that arise from this bike trip.

In the meantime, I would simply advise all Florida cyclists to be extra vigilant as they ride through our great state, and pay special attention to the average cyclist they encounter who, in my experience will be discourteous of each other and given to some very unsafe practices devoid of common sense, such as, and especially rapidly overtaking slower cyclists, passing them with a less-than-safe distance between cycles, and without calling out their intentions to pass.

We have much to do to make cycling a safer activity and to raise public awareness of the fitness benefits of cycling. As our fossil fuel crisis continues to worsen and the need for green activities continues to increase, local and state governments need to play a more agressive role in encouraging and facilitating cycling activities.

Take for instance the popularity of cycling and camping in European countries. Is there any reason that we should not follow suit, except for the fact that our park systems tend to discourage cycling activities in preference to accommodating 40' RV's towing trailer loads of energy-consuming motor bikes, 4-wheelers and boats? Is there any justifiable explanation for charging the same $30 - 40+ fee for a bicyclist to deploy a tent in a park, when that cyclist will have no more impact on utilities than taking a shower, and maybe recharge a cell phone, as opposed to the RV driver who will tie into a sewer system, use unrestricted amounts of water and run lights, air conditioners, and TV's long into the night?

Florida needs to get serious about encouraging energy conservation and physical fitness. Dedicating hundreds of acres of land for the enjoyment of those who waste the most energy, and effectively barring those who want to enjoy the outdoors without wasting energy by imposing exhorbitant fees is both counterproductive and ludicrous. Think about it. We've got a lot of work to do!

A final thought for today. If you are planning a cycling trip down the Keys any time soon, as I know two clubs are, don't go unless you have verified the suitability of roads and trails on Key Largo, Islamorada, and Long Key. If you do decide to go in spite of major road construction, with its collateral damage to adjacent cycling trails, I recommend that you go with puncture-resistant off-road tires with heavy duty tubes. Street tires will make your trip treacherous until that construction is complete.

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement along the way! I'll have much to share in the coming days. Unfortunately, most of it will have to wait until I return from Alaska on Nov. 7. I will be able to receive your emails at: arotorhead@earthlink.net and cell calls at: (850) 529-4473.

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment