Wednesday, October 6, 2010

End Of Day Six

Wow! Another day of stiff winds, with some gusts topping 25 MPH. But, on a positive note, it was a short day, only needing to coever 40 miles. I'm staying in Fernandina Beach the the home of new friends, Mike and Mary Pikula. Mike is retired Air Force, and very much involved with the Greenway trails system here on the island. Amelia island is a beautiful quaint community loaded with historic structures, beautiful scenery, a busy waterfront, and lots of live oaks. Mike and Mary contacted me early on in the planning of this trip and offered their home to me. They are a most gracious couple; and I look forward to repaying their hospitality as they have occasion to visit family in the Panhandle.

Amelia island is well into constructing an excellent bike trail system, with new roads under construction to incorporate bike lanes. There are already about 35 miles of bike routes in the community.

Tomorrow, I will do a bit of a bike tour of the island tomorrow, after a meeting with local biking enthusiasts. Afterwards, I'll rest up for an early launch on the morning of the 8th - headed to Key West.

Early this morning while I was at the shower house in the camp ground, a critter of some sort made off with my lefthand riding glove. Somewhere in Hannah Park is a raccoon or squirrel sporting a new bright red glove.

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment