Monday, October 18, 2010

On Long Key

Today is my best ride yet, 62.63 miles. I'm halfway down the Keys and should reach Key West tomorrow. I might take a day off when I get down there, and then "hot-foot-it" northbound

The keys are generally better for cycling than the mainland, with much of the bike trails separated from auto traffic. There are reportedly few beaches, with much of the terrain being limestone outcroppings and stands of mangrove. The water is beautiful; and this must be a fisherman's paradise. Motels are scarce and expensive; and state park camping fees are insane - charging $44 to drop a tent on the ground!

I look forward to getting back to my computer and writing about some of my experiences, and the prople I've met in greater detail. I'll have much to share about how to improve and popularize the Greenway and other cycling endeavors in the state.

Al

1 comment:

  1. A GREAT JOB Al! I don't understand how you are to cross the long bridges associated with the keys. My favorite restaurants are just down the street from you, Ziggies and Marker 88. I hope you will have a Conch Style dinner and enjoy being in paradise!

    ReplyDelete