Friday, October 1, 2010

Rough First Day

I started out this morning at 7;00 a.m. with a broken shifter.  The closest bike repair shop was in Vero Beach, a twenty mile ride with only low and midrange gears available.  I had to juryrig the shifter to obtain high range.  Twenty miles would have been nearly impossible in low and mid range, and tough enough in high.  I still ended up shucking the chain once.  Repairs took me 12 miles out of my way and cost me a three hour delay; which required me to try to make up time during the hottest part of the day.  So, instead of reaching Melbourne, I had to pull up short in Sebastian Inlet State Park.  Ideployed my high-tech tent for its first field test and rested a bit, but could not sleep because of all of the surrounding noise.  After darkness set in, I had my 31 dollar shower; and here I am.

I'll start at daybreak again ant try fo 60 miles.  I know one thing - if I ever attempt such a trip again, I don't think I'll be pulling a trailer.  It's only fun downhill.

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment